An old... OLD discussion from men.style.com about something completely unrelated to me.
Raf's aesthetic? Have you followed Raf's [Simons] designs through the years for himself and now Jil Sander? Or more than likely you have this preconcieved and false notion about what it is based on the shallow and topical editorial that you might read in your fashion mags.* I've been to a party that Raf threw last year. His personal aesthetic: trim khakis, black vneck, clean sneakers and a white undershirt. The people invited to his party? Ranged from hipsters to guys in suits that could have walked off wall street. I would not say Raf has an aesthetic, I'd say he has an attitude and that is do what you want, be comfortable, have fun and realize that when it comes down to it you're going to be dead in the dirt so don't look back and think you've missed out on something you've watned to do.
*The problem with peope who don't work or live in fashion and for the most part or only living it vicariously through style.com, Vogue, TheFashionSpot, etc is that all you can do is look at pictures and read other self perpetuating fallacies. You aren't able to account for mood, theme, marketing, attitude, mentality, zeitgeist, culture, references, etc. when it comes to a designer. You look at a model that they choose and think that is for whom they design. And in the same vain you look at that and try to apply it to yourself and will end up only in a self-hating body image because you have conditioned yourself by an internet education of fools to believe that is the one true meaning.
Hmm. This brings me to a real purpose of this blog. It started off as something I thought I could catch attention from someone and get recognition for my passion and create some type of Sofia Cappola story of my life. Since now I know my real odds, I took a look at the potential I really have and decided to keep on doing what I started, but just document what I really feel and see in these times. So, world; this is not a pathetic attempt to impress you. This is my perspective on the world I hope to be apart of. I don't want to be BryanBoy or a Project Runway wanna be. I don't even know what I want to be. But I want to mold my perspective, my taste and my creativity. And since it involves sitting back and seeing what I yearn for in magazines and on a computer screen, it shall be so. After all I am not apart of an unaknowleged audience, Victor and Rolf made me feel special.



No comments:
Post a Comment