Sartorial Philosophy.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Year 2000...

People must have wondered where the flying cars and jetpacks were. In 1960 those two things were dreamt. From what I know of the 70s, war was not widely approved to be the future. In the 80s Star Trek met it's audiences and gave vision into the future for that decade. In that same decade the most innovative, or err... unique fashions were accessible and widely embraced. The 90s seemed sartorially a period where people wanted to ignore what the 80s produced. Hence, a new less constructed casual look became the norm.

Since then, it seems like the norm seems to have become a more homogenized exploration or the same types of cut and clothes- collectively. Avant-Guard clothes have remained the same coveted type of clothing that every one loves but still does not wear.

So one night I'm watching Milan runway highlights from and I hear Anna Wintour say that she likes to ignore the space-age clothes that designers make when they run out of ideas. So it got me thinking... What should we be expecting in the future? I broke down and agreed with her in some aspects of that idea. But, can a collection be futuristic without referencing the likes of Star Trek and astronauts?

What I want to say is, I am bored with fashion. Designers seem to be obsessed with what sells.

Being in a public school enables me to be around types of kids. So when a student from Yale comes in, people consider Yale for themselves since they want to achieve that high sense of accomplishment that comes from going to an Ivy League big name school. But then that voice or person says: Why the hell would you want to get into something you can't afford? And the notion of that high sense of accomplishment disappears with fear.

Fear seems to be what stops designers from being real artists. In my eyes. So the economy seems to be the only thing stopping them being truly artistic... Or truly innovative. I have heard lots of people (buyers mostly) say that designers find success when they put the correct amount of luxury and aesthetic that keeps consumers buying. But when will we, or maybe just me cause I can't find any, truly innovative and different clothes? Maybe just some new concepts like Thom Browne ankles or Balenciaga shoulders and neoprene. Or even a contemporary Yves Saint Laurent... dare I say. Cause everyone seems very satisfied. It could just be me. Being around Abercrombie and H&M all the time in a city where people collectively just don't care about clothes.

The good news is, Kanye has been doing things I like. He seems to successfully translated Electronic into Hip-Hop. The soulless robotic sound filled with a lot of emotional seems able to take Hip-Hop with it. Beyonce and her abused metal glove seem to be hinting at the same futuristic sound. Can this sound be heard the future? I don't know. But it's pretty damn innovative, innovative.

Can this feeling be a fad? Will I feel different tomorrow? I know I'll still be frustrated about the homogenized sartorial spirit of Philadelphia.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails