Sartorial Philosophy.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Similar.

First, you like paint swatches? No? I like to collect my favorite colors. I love the colors that emerge from different shades of grey. But that's unrelated. The swatches.




Behr Swatches from The Cozy Little Cave

Yeah! Them! Well I took a passage back in time inspired by Laia at Geometricsleep. Back in the day we go to 1999, my days in 2nd grade practicing cursive, in Paris at the Bailmain show for the spring 2000 season. We find something inspired by color swatches all the same.







The colors break up the color complexity from the floral print on the flowy in all of it's primitive nature. The colors are in a way derived from the skirts as they emerge on the body in belly conscious ways. Let me just say this ain't Christophe Decarnin's Balmain lady. It's Gilles Dufour's Balmain lady. Gilles, who? Oh. Karl's "right hand man" at Chanel from the 1980s and 90s. The one who put "balmain" and "babe" on T-SHIRTS and sent them down the runway. Friends, just know you can put jersey in a couture collection, but not t-shirts for the couture house. Considering how much Balmain costs now, I wonder how much those cost back then. Interesting story. But, back to the point, do you remember Henry Holland's ode to the Pantone swatch collection for just passed Fall 2009 season? It wasn't on the editorial radar from my knowledge. However, feast on this before you forget the swatch theme of this post.




Interesting how things can be so similar but be so different. Right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Something about the honesty & personality behind this post makes me really appreciate everything about it. I also enjoy the visuals. Great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails