Sartorial Philosophy.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mad Man.

This winter break I had the displeasure of buying the entire season of Mad Men from iTunes with the wealth of expends I got for Christmas. Note that I called it a displeasure because of how compelled I was while I was watching the series. It took as long as winter break to watch the entire thing and it took the same period for me to also write one post on my blog. Mad Men has ruined me, then built me back up again. Granted the breaking down was disproportionate to the building up, I really like Mad Men.

I have enjoyed the show since I've herd the hype, Emmy buzz, and peer pressure to watch it. Rarely do I ever see a thing live up to the hype that was displayed before I watch it. But I didn't have to worry about whether I would like it. The era setting in transporting in the least. It appeals to the stylistic inclinations and eventually one finds a character to identify with. There are so many things to like just about aesthetic since the modern camera views give a very crisp portrayal of what it was like to live then. This is where the compelling part comes in for me. I've gotten so overwhelmed with it all that I feel like I've been sucked right into the show in the nest of Don Drapers conscious.

MY favorite shows now a'days have such a light spirit that I will always walk away from an episode in the feel good mode. 30 Rock, I have found has the irony I find in my life, Glee is dramatic in the best realistic way and Ugly Betty has all of the workings of imminent workplace disappointment. Mad Men has a little all of this, but instead of blindingly right light, dark portraits of characters communicate silhouettes and intimate moments.


image from videogum archives

While I don't fully identify with Donald Draper's identity (Dick, wha?), I connect to him as an ad man. (His personal life is so far gone I wouldn't ever find myself in his predicament.) But the idea of himself at work and his identity at home feels almost like a reflection of myself. I spent most of my winter break trying to distinguish myself from the shadows of the images in the show. In a lot of ways I feel like life right now is the same as it is right here, because the lighting is never right at home except for at school where things are florescent. Things I contemplated over break. Things that inspire me.

Terminus

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails