Sartorial Philosophy.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sober Now

I walked past the metro and decided to get another momentous event paper that will hopefully gain value in the future. Then I read it, which can't be good for its value. Nevertheless, I read it. I'm glad I did because had I not I would have skipped right over Marc Lamont Hill's tough words for Obama. I've been waiting for someone to be critical of him. This moment seems to wash even the media out with a really happy feeling. Personally, I was just happy he made it to be president in the first place and of course I'm over joyed, natch. But this sobered me up some.

The working poor will be no happier to know that a black man is undermining their prosperity. Gays and lesbians will see no moral victory in having their civil rights stripped away by fellow minority. Continental Africans will find no solace in the fact that one of their sons is aiding and abetting its exploitation. For America to truly mature, we must not only acknowledge its bright light, we must also come to terms with its dark underside. Militarism, violence, consumerism, homophobia, patriarchy, anti-intellectualism, and countless other hallmarks of the American empire must die in order for a new, more mature America to be born. Otherwise, we have done nothing more than put a slave in charge of the plantation.

This means pushing Obama to become the leader that he can be by being the citizens that we must be. This requires being just as critical of our new president as we were with his predecessor. This demands that we not retreat to the political sidelines until the next presidential election. To do so would be to squander one of the greatest opportunities that our nation has ever had. While I am not optimistic, I remain a prisoner of hope. Not in President Obama. But in our collective ability to not only grow old, but grow up.
These words were met by resentment by me(especially since he managed to quote Jesse Jackson). But Obama said he needs us for service to make this the country we always wanted it to be. The man is not Christ and I'll be right here trying to do what's within my power to "Change the World." That's a common theme round school. So, let this be my declaration of the 21st century patriotism that I think will be necessary to compliment and correspond with Obama's proposed new leadership. Oh gosh, I'm sounding doubtful... I really do have faith in him, though.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails