Sartorial Philosophy.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fashion Film

During my time not blogging (sorry), I've been entertaining myself with fashion's new medium, film. Proving itself as a way to entice customers and gather cultural relevance, film is being used for in a lot of new ways that I am not used to yet. In a way, I've been watching it (lately there is no shortage) and scrutinizing it for not communicating a clear message to me, the viewer. So a certain unhappiness comes with watching fashion film because videos do not often come with explanations that help me understand what I'm watching. This frustration forced me to question the integrity of the medium because I could not see how a brand was supposed to align itself to it's viewer. 

My dissatisfaction could stem from the fact that I'm not cultured enough to understand comparative mise-en-scene. It could be that my capacity to understand luxury clothing is limited as an outside viewer. Whatever the reason is, I can't get past leaving with a like for the music, rather then the clothes. Right now I can't quite put it into words.


But the one thing that is keeping me from liking a lot of fashion film is as easy as understanding my own taste. I understand that some film makers are not going to be compelling enough to help me like a film. I have gone as far as watching popular film and the film that influenced it, so my ability to tastefully judge whether film is good or bad is not a reliable way of validating fashion film. So I digress 'til I am a seasoned fashion consumer and cultured film director. Until then, I will take my film class for what it's worth and discern what exactly it is that leaves me uneasy about this here fashion film.


[sorry, no image, I'm worried about copyright here.]

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails